When Will A Central Authority Represent A Parent Under The Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction

Each state that is a signatory to the Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction must appoint a Central Authority so that there is a clear path to enforcement for foreign nationals to seek assistance in a member country when a parental abduction such as a wrongful withholding, or a refusal to access occurs. The Central Authority is tasked with enforcing the current custody orders. It may act as a representative for the “out parent.”

The Central Authority of a state under the Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction may seek authorization or confirmation that they are supposed to be representing the parent, or they may demand that a representative be appointed, such as an international child custody lawyer.

Article 28

A Central Authority may require that the application be accompanied by a written authorisation empowering it to act on behalf of the applicant, or to designate a representative so to act.

Comments are closed.