When a parent, either the custodial or non-custodial parent, prevents the other parent from their court ordered child custody or visitation – that is an abduction. Child abductions are painful and difficult. Most law enforcement agencies are hesitant to jump in to the fight. A parent whose child is being wrongfully withheld or has been abducted needs the support and knowledge of a family law firm attorney who has experience in this area.

The first step in an international child custody case is to open a local Missing Person’s case. The Police may not want to do this, and if that is the case, the parent, or their family law lawyers may have to bring in the power of the U.S. Department of State. The Department’s Office of Children’s Issues can and will speak to the local law enforcement if necessary, to have them enter the missing child’s information into the NCIC (National  Crime Information Center).

Comments are closed.