Child abductions – where one parent has wrongfully, meaning in violation of a court order, taken a child from or prevented the return to, the other parent can happen internationally.  Each country classifies the case as either incoming or outgoing. An incoming case is where the child has been abducted TO a country, and an outgoing case is where the child has been abducted from a country. Child custody lawyers who work on international cases are familiar with the laws, and the procedures for return of the child.

The U.S. Department of State handles incoming child abduction cases

The Office of Children’s Issues also handles incoming Hague child abduction cases – that is, abductions of children to the United States from countries that are partners under the 1980 Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction.  In addition, our office can assist with abductions from non-partner countries, although our services in such cases are more limited.  If you are a parent whose child has been taken to the United States in violation of your parental rights, the Office of Children’s Issues offers services that you might find valuable during this difficult time.

Comments are closed.